Begin a rewarding career with a well-recognized property and casualty insurance company with an A (Excellent) AM Best rating achieved by our continued financial stability and our commitment to providing superior products and service.
Rockingham Insurance is currently recruiting for an Underwriter. The person selected for this position will be part of a high performing team and be responsible for providing new business, renewal and agent support.
Fundamental Job Duties:
- Accountable for managing business relationships and results from assigned agents for all Personal Auto, Homeowners, Dwelling Properties, Mobile Homeowners, Farmowners, and Umbrella business.
- Examines new policies and in-force business to develop and analyze exposures within company guidelines.
- Applies pricing, deductibles, and coverages for eligible risks insuring adequate premium and profitable results.
- Within authority, renders decisions to approve, modify, or decline new or in-force risks; makes well-developed recommendations on risks beyond authority. Recommends alternative sources of coverage as appropriate.
- Processes underwriter-initiated cancellations and non-renewals and any associated reinstatements.
- Prepares quotes, explains underwriting policies/procedures, and provides training on products and processes.
- Evaluates large loss potential and handles accordingly to manage total exposure; authorizes reinsurance within defined authority.
- Collaborates with Marketing and Analytics to review agent performance and coordinate effective plans for proactive agent engagement.
- Conducts consistently professional interactions with agencies to build strong working relationships.
- Maintains transactional output that meets regulatory requirements and organizational expectations; performs daily administrative tasks to assure all information files are up-to-date.
- Exhibits a sound understanding of property and casualty principles including the company distribution system, the needs of customers, and the insurance business climate to effectively influence underwriting decisions.
- Identifies critical issues, evaluates facts, and makes decisive and sound decisions within areas of responsibility.
- Understands and is committed to achieving company’s vision, mission, and core values.
- Possesses, or is actively pursuing, professional insurance training and other related education.
- Demonstrates personal computer literacy; utilizes all relevant company automation to optimum productivity in evaluating underwriting risks.
- Organized with strong attention to detail; utilizes time and available resources effectively.
- Shows personal integrity, inspires trust, and sets a positive example through a strong work ethic, commitment, and enthusiasm.
- Demonstrates ethical work manner in dealing with confidential information.
- Obtains and maintains Virginia and/or Pennsylvania property and casualty insurance license.
- Four-year undergraduate degree preferred; associate degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Insurance experience preferred.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
To apply for this position, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.