Begin a rewarding career with a well-recognized property and casualty insurance company with an A (Excellent) AM Best rating achieved by our continued financial stability and our commitment to providing superior products and service.
Rockingham Insurance is currently recruiting for a Production Underwriter (Farm). This position will drive successful business results for the Farmowners line through solicitation and underwriting support of appointed agents. Examine farm exposures to evaluate, classify, and rate proper insurance coverage. Accept, modify, or reject risks within authority limits while demonstrating responsibility for profit and premium growth. Appoint and provide service to agents at or above levels defined by the company as acceptable, as well as service response to submissions or questions arising from agencies and partners.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Works directly with agent partners to solicit and convert Farmowners new business opportunities into policies to consistently achieve new business targets. Assists agents in preparing quotes, explains underwriting policies and procedures, and provides training on products and processes.
- Examines risk information from producers to fully develop and analyze exposures within scope of company guidelines. Within defined authority, renders decisions to approve, modify, or decline new risks; recommends alternative sources of coverage as appropriate.
- Applies appropriate pricing, deductibles, and coverages for eligible risks to ensure adequate premium and profitable results. Has full discretionary pricing authority of +/- 50%.
- Evaluates large-loss potential and handles accordingly to manage total exposure; authorizes and places reinsurance within full reinsurance program authority.
- Establishes solid networking relationships within the farm insurance community to develop opportunities leading to successful agency appointments, assuming accountability for the company relationship with agents related to farm insurance. Develops a strong and supportive working relationship with appointed agents, agency staff, internal personnel, and outside resources and facilitates on-boarding and training of agents.
- Frequently interacts with agents, making outbound calls and office visits. Supports agent training on systems, appetite and marketing programs. Assists in any agent-related issues concerning farm insurance and the company relationship.
- Collaborates with Analytics to analyze agent performance and effectiveness of proactive agent engagement as well as product success.
- Completes and manages business plans that promote profit and growth.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Needed:
- Exhibits an exemplary understanding of property and casualty principles including the company distribution system, the needs of customers, and the insurance business climate, particularly with respect to farm insurance.
- Demonstrates the ability to promptly identify critical issues, evaluate facts from a variety of sources, and make decisive and sound decisions. Makes exceptions when reasonable and documents the logic behind decisions.
- Committed to the company’s vision, mission, critical success factors and core values.
- Demonstrates personal computer literacy and effectively utilizes all relevant company automation to optimum productivity in underwriting and policy administration. Proficiencies will include Microsoft Office products and other software as appropriate.
- Well organized with strong attention to detail; utilizes time and available resources effectively.
- Shows personal integrity, inspires trust, and sets a positive example through a strong work ethic, commitment, and enthusiasm.
- Possesses, or is actively pursuing, professional insurance training and other related education.
- Exhibits high level of professionalism and leadership within a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain partnership with principal agent and agency employees.
- High level of professionalism and ability to communicate effectively positive and negative information to agency principals, leadership team, and Sales and Underwriting staff.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Demonstrates ethical work manner in dealing with confidential information.
- 4 year Undergraduate degree (preferred) and/or equivalent work experience required.
- Four to six years’ underwriting experience desired.
- High level of expertise in Farmowners insurance exposures, coverages, rules, rating, and loss settlement desired.
- Effective communicator through written, oral, and electronic formats.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel to sort data and consolidate information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word to create narrative summary of agent analysis.
- Valid driver’s license.
To apply for this position, email your resume to email@example.com.