Junior Software Developer
Begin a rewarding career with a well-recognized property and casualty insurance company with an A (Excellent) AM Best rating achieved by our continued financial stability and our commitment to providing superior products and service.
Rockingham Insurance is currently recruiting for a Junior Software Developer. This position is part of the Information Services team and is integral in developing software requirements and supporting the business segment’s requirements.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create software code, unit tests and assist with encoding, testing, debugging, and documentation.
- Understand client requirements and prepare designs for translating those into software applications such as Guidewire InsuranceNow Policy, Billing, Claims and other legacy systems.
- Uses coding methods in specific programming languages to initiate or enhance program execution and functionality.
- Performs installation of code releases and patches and write scripts or programs for IT applications
- Supports company mission by providing highest level of personal service to internal customers and promoting growth of the company by increasing knowledge of new technologies.
- Maintains, modifies, and documents procedures for installation, use, and management of individual programs.
- Diagnoses problems caused by incorrect program code; makes necessary changes and repairs to data in files damaged due to malfunctioning programs.
- Increases technical skills using all applicable training methods and transfers this knowledge by reporting on event and/or materials to other members of IS staff.
- Cross-trains with team members to ensure adequate back-up resources are in place.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Demonstrates junior level technical competency with application development including databases, desktop applications, web applications, and data integration projects.
- Demonstrates a knowledge of company operations, office workflow and information technology applications within the insurance industry environment.
- Effectively expresses ideas clearly, concisely, and logically, in both verbal and written form; clearly communicates problems and resolutions in a non-technical manner as needed.
- Deals with private and confidential information according to company policy.
- Shows personal integrity, inspires trust, and sets a positive example through a strong work ethic, commitment, and enthusiasm.
- Strong team player; establishes cooperative, positive, and professional working relationships.
- Knowledge of stored procedures and SQL
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or software engineering preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a software development role.
- Knowledge/experience in personal and commercial lines insurance industry.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Position operates in a professional office environment, or remote location (satellite office, or home office) and routinely uses standard office and mobile equipment including computers, phones, and photocopiers.
- Position may require occasional travel to corporate offices or attending conferences and other technology/training functions.
- Flexibility in daily work times is allowed; average 40-hour week; occasional evening or weekend work may be required for testing and deployment of new technologies.
Please note, this position description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this position, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.