Taking care of you is important to us. Here are some tips to help with the claims process. First - make sure you're safe.
When you purchase insurance, the hope is that you will never need to use it. Fortunately, if you do need to report a claim, there are steps that you can take to make your life much easier.
So whether a stovetop fire got out of control, or you wound up in a fender bender, here is our advice on what to do to prevent further damage or loss from an incident. Here are some claims tips:
Tips for Property Loss
- As soon as possible after the loss, reach out to our claims experts, or contact your local Rockingham Insurance agent to report the claim.
- Take photos of all damage to your property and compile a list of everything that was stolen or damaged, including spoiled food, if relevant.
- Do not throw out any damaged items which you will be claiming, including any carpeting and personal property.
- If someone has vandalized your property, take all reasonable means to protect the property to prevent further damage. Contact the police department if you have not done so already.
- If equipment in your home has broken down, contact a certified contractor to perform a diagnostic on the failed equipment and be prepared to provide an estimate.
- If the property damage is due to the elements- water, fire, or wind – take necessary action to protect your property and mitigate it from any further damage.
Tips for Auto Loss
- In the event of a car accident, remain calm and check yourself and others for injuries. If you are unsure whether or not an injury is serious, err on the side of caution and call an ambulance.
- If the incident is minor, move your vehicle to a safe location, and turn on your hazard lights.
- Do not admit fault or blame others. Emotions are likely to be running high immediately following an accident, so try to keep conversation about the incident to a minimum.
- Focus on collecting information from all parties involved, this includes the contact information of drivers and passengers, descriptions of the vehicles (make, model, year), license plate numbers, insurance information, and the address or location where the accident took place.
- If it is safe to do so, also take photos of the damage.
- Get a police report. Even if the accident is minor, a police report can be incredibly helpful during the claims process.
- If your vehicle is not safe to drive, find a safe place to wait for the tow truck.
- While at the scene of the accident, you can start the claims process by filing a claim online or via phone at (800) 662-5246. Remember, your safety always comes first. You can always add details later.
To request non-accident related roadside assistance call (866) 319-4824.
At Rockingham Insurance, we want to ensure the process for filing a claim goes as smoothly as possible. If you need insurance that is always here to help, reach out to your local Rockingham Insurance agent today.