Going green is an easy way to save the planet and save money. These 12 eco-friendly tips will help you live a more sustainable lifestyle.
1. Save energy.
- Adjust your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few degrees higher in the summer to save on heating and cooling costs.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Wash clothes in cold water – as much as 85% of washing machines’ energy is heating the water. Skip the dryer, use a drying rack or clothesline.
2. Pay bills online to reduce paper and save a stamp.
- Pay a Rockingham Insurance policy online with a one-time payment option.
3. Switch light bulbs to CFLs. When purchasing new appliances, look for the Energy Star label.
- Turn lights off when you leave a room.
- Use natural light from windows as long as you can before you turn on a light.
4. Recycle – glass, paper, aluminum, etc. Every little bit helps!
5. Save water.
- Shorter showers and turning the water off while brushing your teeth will lower your water bill and heating bills.
- Plant drought-tolerant native plants around your home for minimal watering.
6. Use less gas.
- Bike or walk to work to save gas, improve your cardiovascular health, and lower emission levels.
- Telecommute – working from home saves you money on gas expenses and vehicle maintenance.
7. Eat smart.
- Buy locally raised foods. Supporting local farmers keeps money in the local economy.
8. Skip the bottled water.
- Purchase a water filter to purify tap water instead of buying bottled water. Bottled water is expensive, and it generates large amounts of container waste.
- Use a reusable water bottle.
9. Keep electronics out of the trash.
- Keep your cell phones, computers, and other electronics as long as possible.
- Donate or recycle them responsibly when the time comes. E-waste contains mercury and other toxins and is a growing environmental problem.
10. Make cleaning products at home to save money, time, and packaging – not to mention improving indoor air quality.
You can make homemade cleaning products with a few simple ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, lemon, and soap.
11. Shop with reusable bags and stop using disposable plastic or paper bags.
12. When you are ready to get rid of an item, donate it to support your local community.
These 12 sustainable living tips will help protect our planet from climate change and protect your home from high water and energy bills. Contact a local Rockingham Insurance agent today to learn more about how to safeguard your home.