A break-in can be incredibly stressful, but Rockingham Insurance is here to offer you peace of mind as you’re navigating the challenging situation.
You may have heard news stories about cars being stolen or broken into recently. It’s not just a headline; the statistics are alarming. According to the Council on Criminal Justice, the number of motor vehicle thefts has been on a sharp rise, with a staggering 33.5% increase during the first half of 2023 compared to the same period in 2022. While many of us believe “it’ll never happen to me,” it’s essential to know how to respond if it does. So, if you find yourself dealing with a vehicle break-in or theft, here’s our guidance on what to do next and how your insurance can be a pillar of support.
What To Do After A Break-In
- Contact the Police: Filing a police report provides essential documentation and helps in safeguarding the community.
- Document the Scene: Before you do anything else, capture photos of the scene, as these can be instrumental for both police investigations and insurance claims.
- Inventory the Loss: Detail any personal items that were taken during the break-in and their estimated values.
- Notify Rockingham Insurance: You can start the claims process by filing a claim online or via phone at (800) 662-5246.
- To request non-accident-related glass only claims, call (800) 662-5246.
- To request non-accident-related roadside assistance, call (866) 319-4824.
A break-in can be incredibly stressful, but Rockingham Insurance is here to offer you peace of mind as you’re navigating the challenging situation. With a Comprehensive Auto policy, you can rest assured that the cost of any physical damage to your vehicle will be covered in the event of theft or vandalism. However, keep in mind that any personal belongings that may have been taken during a break-in are not typically covered by auto policies. To cover the costs of replacing your valuables, file an additional claim under your renters’ or homeowners’ insurance policy.
What If Your Vehicle Itself Is Stolen?
Experiencing a break-in is distressing, but having your entire vehicle stolen presents a distinct set of challenges. Here’s how the process differs when dealing with Rockingham Insurance:
- Immediate Reporting: A stolen vehicle necessitates an immediate report to the police. The quicker they’re informed, the higher the likelihood of your vehicle’s recovery.
- Activate Tracking: If your vehicle is equipped with a GPS or tracking system, activating it can significantly aid the police in their search.
- Insurance Waiting Period: Keep in mind that there’s a waiting period before Rockingham Insurance will formally declare a vehicle as “lost” to allow time for its potential recovery.
- Total Loss Payout: If your vehicle isn’t found, Rockingham Insurance will cover the actual cash value of the vehicle, minus any deductible.
- Rental Reimbursement: While your vehicle is missing or being repaired, you might need a temporary replacement. Rockingham Insurance offers coverage for rental cars during such periods.
Vehicle theft or break-ins can be daunting experiences, but with the right knowledge and support, you can navigate these challenges with confidence. While this guide offers general advice, specific situations may vary. Always consult with your trusted Rockingham Insurance agent for tailored guidance and to address any unique concerns you might have.
Stay safe, and remember that Rockingham Insurance is here to support you every step of the way.